At 10:34 -0500 15 Feb 2001, Ken Weingold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> at NT.  Anyway, has anyone here tried it and built mutt on it?  I am
> wondering how some of the software I use a lot will build and run
> under it.

Yes, I've built mutt under OS X public beta.  It's been awhile since I
did it, so I may be forgetting some things.  I needed to build ncurses
to do it, but version 5.1 built pretty easily.  After that I seem to
remember mutt 1.2.5 building without problems.

I haven't used it much, but it seems to work fine.  The only problem
I've had with it is that the termcap file included with the system is
quite minimal and doesn't seem to have any type of color xterm included,
so I end up running mutt with 'TERM=xterm-color mutt' (my ncurses build
uses terminfo, which does have xterm-color).  This could easily be fixed
by replacing the termcap file, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

The main problem I've had with using unix software under OS X is that I
wasn't able to build vim.  But it's been awhile, so things may have
improved since I last tried.

Other than the vim problem, I've been pretty happy with OS X.  It
includes many things that I've always had to install myself on other
unix systems (especially Solaris).  Things that I was happily surprised
to see included are zsh (even though bash doesn't seem to be included,
not that I really care about bash), openssh, perl 5.6, less, wget,
rsync, ncftp, fetchmail, procmail, tcpdump.

--
Aaron Schrab     [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
 C makes it easy for you to shoot yourself in the foot.  C++ makes that