On Tue, Feb 20, 2001 at 10:57:20AM +0000, Lars Hecking wrote:
> Michael S. Tsirkin writes:
> > Hello!
> > I get lots of mail from Outlook which all have attachments
> > of the type "application/octet-stream".
> > I would like in this case to use file extension to
> > select the viewer for the attachment.
>
>  This is precisely what Dave Pearson's mutt.octet.filter does.
>
>   http://www.hagbard.demon.co.uk/mutt.html

That's not quite what it does, it was only ever written as a filter for
auto_viewing octet-stream stuff. There is a version floating around that
adds a "view" option too.

Actually I want to kill off mutt.octet.filter and do things properly. As
more than one person has pointed out, this sort of thing can and should be
done via the mailcap. If anyone is interested in taking it over and doing it
properly and/or helping to write a "proper" version I'd love to hear from
them.

Part of me wonders if it would make a good patch (or even actual feature?)
for mutt itself. Something that does a double check from within mutt when
encountering an octet-stream would be really useful.

[CC: To mutt-dev 'cos I'd be interest to know what the developers think.
 Note that I'm not on the development list.]

--
Dave Pearson:              | mutt.octet.filter - autoview octet-streams
http://www.davep.org/      | mutt.vcard.filter - autoview simple vcards