Timothy Grant ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) said something to this effect on 03/02/2001:
> Hi all,
>
> I just changed boxes, copied my home directory to the new box, fired up mutt
> and things seem to be working well. However, I am seeing a message I have
> never seen before (or else I wasn't paying very good attention. I have also
> bumped my mutt version from 1.2.4 to 1.2.5 using one of the RPM packages.
>
> Mutt now reports: invalid preceding regular expression
>
> every time I start it or change mailboxes.
>
> Any clues would be appreciated.

Sounds like the mask is a little off.  Check your .muttrc for the
value of mask, and also check the defaults in /usr/etc/Muttrc. Finally,
build mutt from source, to make sure that there are reasonable
defaults; RPM versions of some software can be a little, um,
idiosyncratic.

  Name: mask
  Type: regular expression
  Default: "!^\\.[^.]"

  A regular expression used in the file browser, optionally preceded
  by the not operator ``!''.  Only files whose names match this mask
  will be shown. The match is always case-sensitive.

(darren)

--
A theory is not accepted when it's critics are converted, but when they
eventually die.