On  0, Rich Lafferty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 12:17:38PM +0000, Subba Rao ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> > I don't know if others are experiencing this, but I am having problem sending
> > out mail to the Mutt user list. The address I am using is,
> >
> >     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > The server that is trying to access 'ident' is from gbnet.net
> >
> > I am trying run as few services as possible on this system.
> >
> > If there is no other way to send email without the 'ident' response to
> > 'mutt-users', please let me know so I can unsubscribe.
>
> You posted, right?
>
> If you don't want people connecting to your ident daemon, then don't
> run it, and then they won't connect.
>
> If you think that someone trying to connect to a service you don't
> offer poses some risk, then you have a grave misunderstanding of how
> things work.

There are very few services on this machine. Here is a mail item to "mutt"
still in my mailq:

27 Mar 2001 17:08:34 GMT  #202410  804  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
        remote  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Each time it tries to go out, the "ns.gbnet.net" server tries to connect to
the "ident" port on my machine.

I did open "ident" port temporarily for the mail to get flushed out. It still
does not go out.
--

Subba Rao
[EMAIL PROTECTED]