On Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 09:03:09AM +0200, Louis-David Mitterrand typed:

> Quite off-topic, but quite scary too:
> Some users of our network (a Debian mail server with postfix, procmail,
> uw-imap, uw-ipop3d and Oulook Express clients) report instances of
> merged e-mail messages: two separate messages become one with merged
> headers and loss of one of the messages' body.

 mbox corruption - likely caused due to two separate clients
 accesing the mbox (or other reasons).

 http://aa11.cjb.net/sun_managers/1998/01/msg00498.html has a great
 summary.  If that link is not accessible (I fetched it from
 google's cache) try

<http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:aa11.cjb.net/sun_managers/1998/01/msg00498.html+mbox+two+messages+concatenated&hl=en>

> Myself (using fetchmail and procmail) I have occasionnaly received
> merged messages in which the bodies were joined by a thick slab of null
> characters.

 Your lda (procmail, most likely) and/or your pop server are flaky,
 or you got a fubar'd network connection.  (Two other likely causes)

        -s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + Wallopus Malletus Indigenensis
mallet @ cluestick.org + Lumber Cartel of India, tinlcI