Hi,

I recently noticed that our mail spool directory was modded word writeable
(with the sticky bit). To me this seemed like a bit of a bad idea, so I
asked around if there was a reason for this, and no one could think of
one. So I changed it to 755 to see what would break. mutt seems to be what
broke. A few of our users (3 complained before we switched it back) got
errors in mutt saying that their mailboxes were read only and they could
not delete anything. However, for myself and others, mutt had no problem
with write access to the mail files. Each mailbox is modded 600 and owned
by the appropriate user. The mail spool directory is nfs mounted from a
central server.

Anyone have any idea why mutt would do this with some users and not
others? What does mutt like the permissions on the mail spool to be?

--

Chad Cunningham
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Well, once again my friend, we find that science is a two-headed beast. One
head is nice, it gives us aspirin and other modern conveniences,...but the
other head of science is bad! Oh beware the other head of science, Arthur, it
bites!"