Frustration. I've changed every combination of mailpath, sppolfile,
locking combination that I can find.

The result is the same. When I send myself a test message and then
hit <CTL Shft L> the reply is:

Mailbox was externally modified.  Flags may be wrong.

And Mutt does not see the new message which procmail just indeed put
into my mailbox. I am not giving up, just don't know what else to try.

For those who missed my first go round, Mutt works fine when i use POP.
But it does not see new messages when fetchmail pops.

mutt -v gives:

 System: Linux 2.4.0-6-keith [using slang 10404]
 Compile options:
 -DOMAIN
 -DEBUG
 -HOMESPOOL  +USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK
 -USE_IMAP  -USE_GSS  -USE_SSL  -USE_POP  +HAVE_REGCOMP  -USE_GNU_REGEX
 +HAVE_COLOR  +HAVE_PGP  -BUFFY_SIZE -EXACT_ADDRESS  +ENABLE_NLS
 SENDMAIL="/usr/sbin/sendmail"
 MAILPATH="/var/spool/mail"
 SHAREDIR="/usr/share/mutt"
 SYSCONFDIR="/usr/etc"
 ISPELL="/usr/bin/ispell"

 procmail -v gives:

  Locking strategies:     dotlocking, fcntl(), lockf(), flock()
  Default rcfile:         $HOME/.procmailrc
  Your system mailbox:    /var/spool/mail/keith

.muttrc has:

set folder=~/Mail
set spoolfile=/var/spool/mail/keith \
set mbox=+Read
set mbox_type=mbox
set postponed=+Unsent
set copy=yes
set record=+Sent
set dotlock_program=/usr/bin/mutt_dotlock
mailboxes /home/keith/Mail/Inbox
mailboxes /var/spool/mail/keith

TIA

Keith Robinson