TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Summing up all the suggestion received to solve my Italian accented
vowels problem, in the end I resorted to putting in /etc/profile the
following two lines:

export LANG=en_US
export LC_CTYPE=it_IT

This enable me to have accented vowels while still working with Debian
in English. In fact, owing to the still poor Debian's translation into
Italian and my partecipacion in many Debian's and other NGs, it is by
far better to stick to English as far as diagnostic is concerned.

Thanks to all

Vittorio