Varying terms you use may help... I have similar problems with WTerm and rxvt
on FreeBSD - stable versions; I have trouble binding function keys.

The workaround I found was to use ctrl-v literals while editing muttrc.  So
instead of binding my macros to '<F2>', etc, I map them to (type this
literally, not as it appears) <CTRL-V><F2>.  In vi/vim the ctrl-v says "insert
the next character, literally".

I don't know why this works but it does.