You need to source ~/.mail_aliases - just setting the alias_file isn't
enough.  See http://www.mutt.org/doc/manual/manual-3.html#ss3.2

Shawn

Previously, Hegedüs Ervin wrote:
% Hello there,
%       I using mutt 1.3.18i on my Debian Sid box.
% Everithing workly fine, just I can't use aliases.
% Here is my .muttrc:
% .
% .
% .
% set alias_file=~/.mail_aliases  # where I keep my aliases
% .
% .
% #set reverse_alias              # attempt to look up my names for people
% set reverse_name                # use my address as it appears in the message
% .
% .
% alias airween Me <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
% alias somebody SB <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
%
% but when I write a mail, and want to send, and
% just write alias name, mutt put our domain after
% alias.
% What can I do, or what do I do wrong?
%
% Thank you.