On (06/08/01 12:05), David Champion wrote:

> On 2001.08.06, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ailbhe
> Leamy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I've been reformatting text using par, before editing it in vi.
> > Basically, I've changed my editor to a script that pipes the message
> > through par and then opens it in vi. The only trouble with this is
> > that it also reformats my signatures at the bottom of the mail.
>
> I'm not sure exactly how you're running par, but I'd think it's
> possible to add in something to set its range.

All I could find was "protected characters", which one can set in the
environment. But I've obviously done it wrong, as it's not working.

> editor="vi '+/^>/;!}par" %s My vi doesn't do what I'd expect here, but

This seems to open and close the file without altering it; "Abort
unmodified message?". I tried it as editor="vi '+/^>/;!}par'" but it
didn't quite work then either... At least, it didn't seem to reformat
anything, though it was quite good at leaving the sig where it was.

> 2. Use something more complex as your editor filter. Perl or awk
> should be able to split up the incoming document nicely. I've attached
> an example. This script filters the draft message, then runs the
> editor on it, leaving no temporary files behind.

Again, this seemed to close the file without altering it, giving me
"Abort unmodified message?" as before.

Hum.

Ailbhe

--