Hey folks.  Just a quick question that might be easier answered by
someone who has had his fingers in the Mutt code.  BTW, I am using
IMAP, not mbox.

I noticed that when I edit a message in my mailbox (for the purpose of
manual threading, adding a Lines header, etc.) mutt drops any
Content-Length or Lines headers.  Even if they are already there.  As
far as I can tell, no other headers are dropped.  Any specific reason
for this?

This is only important to me because I often get large Word docs
through my work email and I often decide wether to open it now or
later based on the sender, subject, and of course the size.  Getting
it right really helps.

Also, what is the difference in the info imparted by the Lines and the
Content-Lenght headers?  Obviously the Lines header counts carriage
returns (essentially) in the message body, but is the Content-Length a
byte size measurement?

Currently, I have a procmail recipe that ensures all messages have a
Lines header so that mutt can tell me what I'm about to open (well,
sort of).  I'd like to be able to keep the message sizes updated, but
it looks like editmsg.c uses the CH_NOLEN flag, which as far as I can
tell, tells mutt to remove these headers when the message is edited.

Is there a specific reason for this? or is there a way to override
this without a code edit?  If not, what are the implications of
patching the code to allow Lines and Content-Length headers to be
kept/modified in an edited message?

Just fishing for some understanding of the developers' reasoning here.

Thanks all.
Lou
--
Louis LeBlanc       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://acadia.ne.mediaone.net                 ԿԬ

There are always alternatives.
    -- Spock, "The Galileo Seven", stardate 2822.3