On 2001.09.09, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Cliff Sarginson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> - What is the purpose/use of "scoring" of mail messages?

I'm sure that people use it in different ways, but fundamentally, it's
just a ratings system. You can value/devalue messages according to the
results of one or more matching operators, and then act on the message
according to the sum of those ratings. You can look at it as a way of
combining lots of different matching operations disjointly - rather than
saying

        if (a and b and c) then mark as important
        if (a and b and d) then mark as junk
        if (a and b and e) then mark as ordinary
        ... plus many other combinations

you can say

        if (a) then increase score by 25
        if (b) then increase score by 25
        if (c) then increase score by 50
        if (d) then decrease score by 100
        if (e) then decrease score by 5
        if (score < 0) then mark as junk
        if (score >= 100) then mark as important

You can use scoring to filter out suspected junk mail, or to prioritize
messages from co-workers over those from friends, or to make messages
from Outlook Express users disappear under a limit, all by tying rules
together rather than by writing more complex rules.

Another, simpler summary: it's a stateful property of a message that can
be manipulated by any number of successive rules.

> - Can i mark a message as undeletable (and reverse that)

As far as I know, not without some severe shenanigans.

You could bind your 'd' key to some function that deletes the message,
then filters it to a program that evaluates the message's X-No-Delete:
header, say, and copies it to a file if it's delete-locked, then appends
that file to your current folder. Other bindings would insert/remove an

That would do it, I think, but I'd reconsider how badly you want this
functionality before trying it. Or ask someone for a patch.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago