Denis Perelyubskiy wrote on Tue, Sep 11, 2001 at 07:13:04PM -0700:
>  * Rino Mardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [09-Tue-01 19:06 -0700]:
>  >:0:
>  >* ^Return-path:.*mutt-user.*@mutt\.org
>  >$MAILDIR/mutt/
>
> actually, does it not make more sense to use ^TO_
> expression, in plcae of ^Return-path?

There are a couple of good reasons not to use ^TO or ^TO_ when sorting
out mailing lists.  The first is speed, ^TO variants are big regexps
that take a while to evaluate, especially when you pile up lots of them
in a row (man procmailrc for the actual regexs).  Secondly ^TOs miss a
bunch of mails, I regularly got mails from mutt development, bugtraq,
and a few other lists falling through ^TO based filters.  It wasn't
a matter of bad address regexs, these emails used bcc only addressing
and no (X-)?Apparently-To:, it seems mutt lists set Delivered-To: which
isn't part of the ^TO_ regex.

The fastest way to sort out mailing lists is to pick off a custom
header used by the list (with a ^ rooted regex) and then order the
rules by posting frequency.  For example from my .procmailrc:

##  mutt user discussion list
:0:
dev/muttu

RJS

--
Robert J. Seymour, Jr.                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Seymour Consulting                                    www.rjsjr.com

GPG key: http://www.rjsjr.com/pubkey.html or finger [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Fingerprint: 0948 B2C7 B51D 20FF 990A  B552 3BB9 041A 280F 303A