One more question on this topic.  I've set my editor command to the one
suggested below but would appreciate a little explanation on the
comments= part.  Particularly the 'nb:>' part.  Does this mean if I were
to modify some of the lines below which started with the angle bracket
(>), it would auto-format those to 72 chars as well AND keep the
brackets in the correct place?  I tried it and it didn't work but some
of the responses seemed to indicate it would.