Doug --

...and then Doug Kearns said...
% Hello all,

Hi!

%
% I've just recently upgraded to mutt 1.3.22 and it seems I can no longer
% delete mail from my inbox - /var/spool/mail/doug

It sounds like mutt can't write to your spool file, or at least thinks it
can't.  I trust that you've tried to toggle read-only with '%'.

If you have your old mutt, run

  /usr/bin/ls -lF /path/to/old/mutt

and see what group it is and what the group permissions are -- are they
just r-x or the special r-s that means "set group-id on execution"?
Check the same thing for an old mutt_dotlock program.

Now take a look at your new mutt.  First, though, run mutt -v and look
for

  Mutt 1.3.22.1i (2001-08-30)
  Copyright (C) 1996-2001 Michael R. Elkins and others.
  Mutt comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `mutt -vv'.
  Mutt is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
  under certain conditions; type `mutt -vv' for details.

  System: Linux 2.4.5 [using ncurses 5.0]
  Compile options:
  -DOMAIN
  +DEBUG
  +HOMESPOOL  -USE_SETGID  +USE_DOTLOCK  +DL_STANDALONE
  +USE_FCNTL  -USE_FLOCK

to pay attention to USE_DOTLOCK (is it set or not?) and DL_STANDALONE (if
you are using dotlocking, does mutt expect to do it itself or call on an
external dotlock binary?).  Then ls your mutt and, perhaps, mutt_dotlock
and make sure that they have the proper permissions.

If your original mutt was installed by the sysadmin and you're now using
your own new copy, you'll have to get the sysadmin to set the permissions;
a normal user can't change the group to mail so that mutt or dotlock can
lock the mailbox.  If this is the case, many sysadmins would be very happy
if you chose +USE_DOTLOCK and +DL_STANDALONE because that requires only
a small, simple program to have special permissions, and your sysadmin
can probably read and security-test that before enabling it.  Of course,
if your sysadmin installed mutt before, she or he might just give you
a full-boat installation without asking any questions :-)

%
% Could someone point me to the relevant documentation ?

Well, I don't know that there is any for this; sorry.

%
% Thanks,
% Doug

HTH & HAND