On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 07:14:40AM -0400, David T-G wrote:
> % mutt takes the "N" away when i just browse down my mail
> % in the pager, but the text appears only for 1 second. i
> % just wanted to jump over it and read it later, but it

Similarly, I use mutt with IMAP, and when I switch to a different mail
folder from one that has new mail in it, and then switch back, the new
mail is no longer marked as new mail, but marked with a status of 'O'
instead.  This drives me crazy, because I get so much mail in so many
mailboxes that the only way I can keep track of which folders have
unread messages is to have the folders show up as having new mail.
Occasionally (but infrequently), I miss critical e-mail because of
this.

Is there a way to make mutt never use the 'O' status, instead keeping
a status of 'N' on all mail which has not yet been read?  Other
mailers, such as netscape for example, behave in this way; i.e. there
is no differentiation between new mail and old unread mail.

Note that flagging the message as New does not help at all, because
again, as soon as you change folders to a different folder, mutt will
"see" the message with the 'O' status.

By way of further explanation:

The order in which you define your mailboxes in .muttrc (or sourced
files, of course) is the order mutt will prompt for those mailboxes
(assuming they have new mail in them).  I set up my mailboxes in the
order they are most critical.  So for example, let's say I have the
following mail boxes defined:

  critical
  daily
  logs
  fun
  junk

[FWIW, these are nothing like my actual mail folders, and I have about
5 times as many.]  If I'm reading mail in logs, but I receive e-mail
in critical, then when I hit the 'c' key to change mail folders, mutt
will ask me if I want to change to critical.  I do, and I read the
critical mail that showed up there.  In the mean time, I get new
messages in other mail boxes, so each time I hit the 'c' key to change
folders, I end up in one of those mailboxes (since the next highest
priority mailbox with new mail will be the one I'm prompted to enter).
I won't be taken back into the logs folder until I receive mail in
that folder, and in all likelihood I will have forgotten to read some
important log message that was left in there since the last time I was
in the folder.

Now, if one of those messages in the logs folder contained information
to which I must react in a time-critical manner... well, I think you
see the problem.

Can this be changed?

Thanks

Derek Martin          |   Unix/Linux geek
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    |   GnuPG Key ID: 0x81CFE75D
Retrieve my public key at http://pgp.mit.edu