Manuel --

...and then Manuel Hendel said...
% Is it possible to use the compressed folders patch with maildir. What
% happens than. Does every mail gets compressed, or how does this work
% with maildir?

The way the compressed folder is recognized is through hooks.  For an
mbox folder doing compression, I have

  # compressed folders
  open-hook \\.gz$ "gzip -cd %f > %t"
  open-hook \\.z$ "gzip -cd %f > %t"
  close-hook \\.gz$ "gzip -c %t > %f"
  close-hook \\.z$ "gzip -c %t > %f"
  append-hook \\.gz$ "gzip -c %t >> %f"
  append-hook \\.z$ "gzip -c %t >> %f"

in my muttrc file.  As you can see, mutt knows what to do with a *.gz or
*.z file based on the open- and close- and append- hooks.

You should be able to define your hooks any way you wish for your
maildir.  I'd imagine you'd probably use tar with gzip to bundle and
compress the whole thing something like

  open-hook \\.tar.gz$ "cd /tmp ; tar xpfz %f"
  close-hook \\.tar\\.gz$ "cd /tmp ; tar cpfz %f %t"

(though this is untested and I certainly don't know how mutt will handle
the temp dir and the file names and the real location path just for
starters) to tell mutt how to open a .tar.gz box (go to the temp dir
and extract from the actual file) and then close it later (go to the
temp dir and tar up the real file with what's in the temp file).

In theory, you should be able to open and/or close and/or append any sort
of mailbox this way; one idea that has crossed my mind is a encrypted
mail folder (tar.pgp) but I haven't played with it and it requires an
unencrypted temp file anyway...

%
% Thanks,
%     Manuel