John --

...and then John Kearney said...
%   where can i get my hands on a copy of patchlist.c/.sh ?

I don't know if it's the same thing, but in "the old days" of lots of
feature and bugfix patches there was a list of all patches that would get
compiled and included and would then show up in `mutt -v` for reference.
Sec Zehl liked that and so, when the patchlist inclusion was dropped
from the distribution, he wrote a patch that brought it back so that
his patches could reference it.

Since I add patches in "bunches", I maintain multiple copies of
patchlist.c for copying into the build tree as I make in stages (but
Rene said to not ask why so maybe I shouldn't tell you :-)

You can find the patchlist patch, which will create an empty patchlist.c
file to which you can add, at my mutt build page at

  http://mutt.justpickone.org/mutt-build-cocktail/

in the file listing; look for patch-0.00.sec.patchlist.7.dtg (and to
see how I implement it check out 00.makeme.sh).

Finally, if all of this has nothing to do with what you were asking,
you're under no obligation to visit ;-)

%
%  TIA
%   JJK