On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:11:40PM +0100, Cristian wrote:
> It looks like I haven't made myself very clear. My point is that even
> if the Content-Type is set `correctly' to Windows-1252, there are
> still some characters that appear as question marks but should (in my
> opinion) rather be converted to iso-8859-1 quotes or dashes, for
> instance. Iconv does not do this for me.

Hmmm... That was what I understood from your previous post:

> aren't they? The problem is, many Windows user send bogus Content-Type
> header lines, so where the line should read,
> instead.

> As a consequence, overriding the charset does not help me.

As far as I could understand, you complain, among other things, about
mutt displaying some characters from messages encoded in windows-1252,
as question marks, if your charset is set to iso-8859-9? I think this is
what iconv library functions are for; my mutt performs conversions
between charsets I use without problems (including transliteration). If
you send me an example message, pointing out the "funny" characters and
how they should look, I'll look whether I can help.

With kind regards,
Baurjan.