On Thu, Dec 27, 2001 at 12:29:34PM -0500, Philip Mak (dis)graced my inbox with:
> Reasons I keep my mail in one large mailbox:
>
> - I'm too lazy to go look up how to rotate my mail.

That's no excuse. Maybe the next time I drive by your house, I'll be too
lazy to stop and I'll just drive right through your house...

> - It's useful to be able to search for every message a specific person has
> ever sent me.

True, but I don't often need to look for old messages. In fact, I don't
even know why I keep archives. ROFL :)

> - The only performance degradation that I've noticed as a result of having
> a 10000 message mailbox is that mutt takes 8 seconds to start. However, I
> run screen anyway (it's useful since my dialup connection disconnects me
> randomly, too). A "l" (limit) command executes within 1 second, even on my
> huge mailbox.

Well, whatever the limit is, mutt still has to open a folder with ten
thousand messages in it. Personally, I think it's cluttered as heck. I
like to have a small amount of mail in my inbox at any given time.

> My main complaint against rotated mailboxes is the anomaly that occurs
> right after a rotation cycle: My folder would be almost empty, and if I
> want to search for something I'll have to search for it twice - once in
> the current folder, and once in the previous period's folder.

Well, it just sucks to be you, doesn't it? :)

> A fine-grained rotation scheme might work better; e.g. I could have a
> primary folder that holds the last 3 months of messages, and an archive
> folder that holds everything else. Every day, a cronjob looks through
> ~/Maildir/cur for individual files that are 3 months old and moves them to
> ~/mail/old/cur (is file modification time always the same as the time the
> message was received?). In that case, I have a reasonably small main
> folder that I can probably find everything I need to in (saves performance
> over having one huge folder), and if I need to go back further I can
> access the larger archive folder.

That's interesting, I guess I wouldn't mind a setup like that. Here's
what I currently have, though, and I am happy with it:

 - procmail sorts all of my mail into various mboxes in ~/mail/
 - mbox hooks are setup to move read mail into
   ~/mail/archives/YYYY-MM-mbox-name

I think the main advantage to this is that if you don't rotate, you just
get a billion messages piled up, and your screen is always full of
messages when you go into that folder. With my way, the clutter is gone
and no matter what, the only messages you can see are new messages. If
you want to read the old messages, you go into the archives.

--
Rob 'Feztaa' Park
[EMAIL PROTECTED]