System: OpenBSD 2.8
./configure --without-iconv
doesn't work:
checking for catalogs to be installed...  de ru it es uk fr pl nl cs id sk ko el zh_TW
zh_CN pt_BR eo gl sv da lt tr ja hu et ca
configure: error: Unable to find an iconv function. See INSTALL for help

I read the INSTALL file, that's why I used
--without-iconv

BTW:
        http://clisp.cons.org/~haible/packages-libiconv.html
gives 404.

Before you yell at me: I found the package (later on there is
an ftp URL).

So which part of the INSTALL file is correct: must I install
yet another library or is there a way to turn iconv off?

According to these lines in configure:

if test "$am_cv_func_iconv" != "yes"
then
  { echo "configure: error: Unable to find an iconv function. See INSTALL for help"
1>&2; exit 1; }
fi

it's not possible to be turned off...