I'll give it a shot, but as I understand it, according to RFC 2554, any
MTA that receives an authenticated email will forward that authentication. So,
is there a way to get Mutt to send an authenticated email to my local server?

    I found a page on doing this with Exim as well, but I'm wondering if I can
get the client to do it.

    Mike

On 16/01/02 Will Yardley did speaketh:

> sendmail, i'm pretty sure does (i know cause i'm dealing with trying to
> get RID of sendmail's attempts to authenticate against every server it
> connects to right now).
>
> basically you put the auth info in /etc/mail/default-auth-info (or
> whatever, but i think that's the default location).
>
> sendmail.org/~ca/ should have more info on this
>
> postfix doesn't attempt this by default, even if built with SASL, but i
> don't think it would be terribly difficult to get this setup with
> postfix either.

Michael P. Soulier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, GnuPG pub key: 5BC8BE08
of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to Unix