On 12:04 17 Jan 2002, Carl B. Constantine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| I solved my color problems with mutt-1.3.25. I did specify the curses
| param incorrectly. It's fixed and I'm happily using the new mutt.
|
| However, I have a different color issue to ask about. Under my new
| compile of mutt with ncurses 5.2, I see yellow color as yellow (dtterm).
| However, under my Linux system (gnome terminal) yellow looks more
| orange/brown in color.

Colours are really just specified as slot numbers (1-8 standard, another
8 in some more recent terminal emulators). So the actual hue you get for
a colour slot is a quality of implementation issue. My Linux console shows
my yellow prompt as an orange/brown too :-( Rxvt and xterm show yellow.

| When I ssh from my solaris 8 box to my home machine, color works
| correctly (including yellow).

Yes - is passing through the TERM variable, your home machine is using
colour for that $TERM value, and your terminal emulator on the Solaris8
box is clearly supporting the colour escape sequences.

| However, when I ssh from my home machine
| to my work-solaris 8 machine, mutt is in mono color though editing
| (using vim) does show up in color, just not mutt's indexes and such.
| Anyone seen that before?

Yes! Me! For Months! But I fixed it. Lemme see...

(Oh, a check - since I missed your other thread - does mutt on your Solaris
box do colour when you're sitting in front of it?)

What does $TERM say at your ssh-ed prompt?
And at your Linux prompt before the ssh?

Oh yeah, the fix - on Solaris the xterm terminfo doesn't have colour.

For mutt, I set my $TERM to rxvt if it's "xterm" before invoking mutt.
That got a colour-capable terminal description.
For your amusement you can read my wrapper script here:

        http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/scripts/stubs/mutt

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson, DoD#743        [EMAIL PROTECTED]    http://www.zip.com.au/~cs/

Sometimes the only solution is to find a new problem.