On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 09:01:39PM, Christian Ordig wrote:
> uhhh ... what kind of system did you use for measurement??
P2-350 with a 20Gb HDD running Linux 2.4.17 on a Slackware 8.0.
My ~/mail is on a 600 Mb reiserfs partition. I think I will convert my
/home dir to ext3 and then try Maildir to compare.

> on my P100 with a quite old HDD running OpenBSD 2.9 it takes
> about one minute to open the whole mutt archive of last year
> (about 9900 messages)...
It takes about 7 seconds to open my mutt archive with 7914 messages.

> the advantage of Maildir over mbox I see: deleting a single message
> in a really big mailbox is nothing more than simply deleting one
> file with mbox it means writing the whole folder again leaving out
> this one message .....
yes, I know. I tried to convert my mbox to Maildirs, but about 3 minutes
to open a folder is really awfull, so I keep mbox

> Christian Ordig
---end quoted text---

binny

--

question = ( to ) ? be : ! be;
       -- Wm. Shakespeare

°v°  Benjamin Michotte        <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
_o_  web      : http://www.baby-linux.net