Brian Clark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [21 Jan 2002 19:04 -0500]:
> * Jonathan Irving ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) [Jan 21. 2002 18:57]:
> > Emacs and Pine both support per-message quote characters.  I
> > think the idea is to choose something that identifies the person,
> > like:
>
> Hehe, no no, I meant *that exact quote prefix* :-) It'd take me forever
> to find the thread in the archives because I wouldn't know what to look
> for, but it was the thread where someone was picking on Dave's (%) quote
> prefix. (I gather this isn't the first time someone on the list has
> picked on him about that prefix. ;-))

Yeah, I remember the thread.  I didn't realize that there were
clients out there that did stuff like that.  Stupid AND
patronizing.

> > > Then, there's also the people that like to open a quoted
> > > paragraph with << and close it with >>, with no prefix in
> > > between. IMO, that's the most annoying thing I've ever seen.
>
> > This seems to be an AOL mailer thing.  It happened a lot on a
> > couple of film mail lists I'm on, always from AOL addresses.
>
> Ah, yes I have seen that with AOL clients. But, I've seen it with
> Outlook users as well. I guess that tells me that people are picking up
> what their friends do. I guess It Is So in those circles.

Actually, it's literally correct (in the sense that quoting text
using "quotation marks" is correct) in France I believe, although
there's a single character rendition that's more often used.
It would be analogous to ``closed with''.

I'm sure it wasn't conceived as i18n support in this context
though 8-I
--
http://www.epic.org - Electronic Privacy Information Center