On 2002.01.22, in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there a graceful way to change the Subject: lines on
> a set of tagged messages?  Often folks will change the
> I tried the '|' pipe function, ";|..." piping to:
>
>   sed 's/^Subject: .*$/Subject: Re: This Thread.../'

You could try writing a macro that sets $editor to a shell script that:

a. filters its $1 argument through a suitable sed command (I'd prefer
formail, personally), then replaces the original $1 file;
b. invokes <edit>
c. sets $editor back to its default value

Your script could even prompt for the new subject line. Hmm -- something
like:

macro index Z "<enter-command>set
editor='mutt-subject-munge'<enter><edit><enter-command>set
editor='the-one-true-editor'<enter>"

% cat $HOME/bin/mutt-subject-change
#!/bin/sh
umask 077
echo "Enter the new subject: \c"
read subject
formail -i "Subject: $subject:" <$1 >$1.2
mv -f $1.2 $1

All untested, of course. No warranties.

--
 -D.    [EMAIL PROTECTED]        NSIT    University of Chicago