Rob --

...and then Feztaa said...
%
% Alas! David T-G spake thus:
% > % Why not just do 'ls -AlF|sort'? That way all lines showing a
% > % directory will start with 'd', and all lines that are files will
% > % start with '-'
% >
% > That's true.  Of course, you throw away the colors when you pipe the
% > output, IIRC...
%
% That's true, I suppose.

Yep.

%
% > % Then you get an alphabetic listing, it automatically puts the
% > % directories first.
% >
% > No, you won't get that -- or at least not with the example above.
% > You'd have to tell sort to sort on the first word and then on the 9th
% > or 8th (depending on whether or not you show group by default), and
% > meanwhile you have to figure out what to do with the "total NNNNNN"
% > line that usually comes first.
%
% I guess I wasn't clear -- what I meant was, 'sort' will sort by the
% first letter alphabetically -- so all the lines starting with 'd',

That's true; it will, indeed.

% directories, will be before all the lines starting with '-', files.

Um, you'll be wanting to check that, too :-)

%
% In other words, the alphabetic listing of the output puts the
% directories first just because that's how the alphabet works. The files

Or second, even, but I get the point.

% themselves will be out of order.

Well, what good will that be?!?

%
% --
% Rob 'Feztaa' Park
% [EMAIL PROTECTED]
% --
% "The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction has to
% make sense."
%     -- Tom Clancy

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]