Erik --

...and then Erik van der Meulen said...
%
% David T-G said:
%
% >  folder-hook mutt.incoming "push 'D !~F !d >14d\n'"
% >
% > work?  [Untested, though.]
% >
% > I trust you've thoroughly read the list of patterns at section 4.2 ...
%
% Hi David - thanks for your help. First experiments indicate that is does not
% work. My mailbox comes on with an error about the folder hook.

Hmmm...  Well, having not played with it I don't have any further info,
but what sort of folder-hook error does mutt report?

Can you construct a delete command like this that does work when you
enter it from the command line?  Perhaps you need to push

  D '!~F !d >14d'

or some such, which can get tricky since we only have two sorts of quotes
available to us...  Keep experimenting.

Come to think of it, I think your original pattern was

  D~d > ...

but I seem to have changed that to

  D ... !d ...

so you should probably do some debugging before worrying about further
experimentation :-)  Here's where mutt's exact error message will be
helpful.

% I'll go back to the section 4.2 as you have indicated, but I do find that a

What's difficult about it?  Perhaps I can help.

The first part is a list of all of the expandos you can use to select a
message, be it for the D delete command or for a limit or for a tag match
or whatever.  Those should be pretty self explanatory.

There are those ID and EXPR and SUBJECT and [MIN]-[MAX] bits in the
middle column of that listing which might look confusing, but they don't
have to be; those are just the parameters to that expando.  The footnote
somewhat interestingly noted by *) instead of (*) indicates that you don't
specifically have to use the MIN-MAX form but can leave off one or the
other to indicate starting from zero or going to infinity, respectively.
You've obviously already figured that out, though, since you use

  ~d >14d

to specify a date greater than fourteen days ago.  You're on your way!

If there's more, by all means let me know and I'll see how I can clarify.
In the meantime, REMEMBER ALL OF THIS.  One thing that mutt, like most
projects, really needs is documentation work; it's tough to write good
documentation, and it takes time and lots of effort on top of that.
Unfortunately, all of us familiar with mutt tend to either overlook as
obvious stuff that is confusing to new users or explain too briefly.
Your input alone is valuable, though contributions toward rewriting are
even more useful.

% difficult read. (I am one of those who wanted to show that also non
% full-time programmers had an alternative to MS products ;-)

And, indeed, we do!

%
% Thanks again!

HTH & HAND