I couldn't find all of this compiled together in one place,
and since I just slogged through it all, figured I'd
write up a little story about how I (finally!) have a great
mail solution that can handle disconnected mailreading
without lots of extra imap authentication or security hassles:

Two caveats:
  *  I'm a mutt newbie.  My mutt configuration bits are probably
     primitive and pathetic.
  *  My mail needs may be unique.  I hope not, but who knows.
  *  The little patch to isync is completely unofficial, hackish,
     and may kill your computer, your cat, or your sanity.

But anyway, if you've ever felt like using mutt, uw-imap,
and isync to handle reading/refiling/deleting mail offline
and resynchronizing with your primary mail store and you're
security paranoid like me, it's my hope that this helps:

  http://www.angio.net/misc/mail.html

I'd absolutely love additional suggestions for how to do this
better, etc., etc.  Or feel free to say, "Well, duh, that's
obvious and I've been doing it for years, take your page down."

  -Dave

--
work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                          me:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/