in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
wrote Charles Jie thusly...

> And I found some differences between fmt and vim's gq:
>
> . gq keeps the 1st line's indent and re-fill all the following, while
>   fmt keeps the first two lines' indent and re-fill from the 2nd line
> . fmt has it's own width (75)
> . fmt has a couple of options if you like...

i suppose you already know that you can specify any width for fmt w/
"-#" or "-w #" (on freebsd), say "fmt -70".  in vim, width for "gq"
depends on "textwidth" variable (and perhaps 'wrapmargin' too).  you
can set that w/ "set tw=70".

fmt is very inadequate, compared to 'gq', when it comes to wrapping
of quoted lines.  just try it, you will see.

 - parv