On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 12:24:03PM +1100, Cameron Simpson wrote:
> On 17:15 02 Mar 2002, christophe barbé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | Is there a way to use mutt on a noatime partitions ?
> | It seems there is no option to avoid the use of the access time.
> | How does other laptop user ?
> | I recently added the noatime option to my root partition to extend my
> | battery lifetime but mutt is not really usable this way.
>
> Well, the core issue is now you are being notified of new email.
> It may be necessary to change your setup or habits.
>
> For myself, I don't keep mutt up all the time - I open it to read
> email and quit when done. So I'm not using mutt's "new mail" monitor.
>
> Also, I'm not using the shell's $MAIL monitor (which depends on atime,
> pronouncing new email with atime($MAIL) < mtime($MAIL)).
>
> Instead, I have my procmail recipe write a line to a log file when
> interesting email arrives (i.e. only when one of a few recipes fires).
> And I have a small window which tails that logfile. If I were in text mode I
> could just tail that log in the background.
>
> In this way I am not dependent on atime. It may be you can adapt these
> notions to your needs.

Thank you for you answer, happy to not be alone ;-).
For my main inbox I have my gkrellm Mailwatch Plugin that keep track of
new mail without atime.
My problem is with mailing lists. As I understand it (but I haven't tried it,
if I quit mutt after reading and relaunch each later (which is not a big
overhead) mutt will reports new mails in mailing-list boxes even if I
have already read all mails.
I was thinking about an mutt option to detect new mails without
depending on atime (something like keeping an internal atime and
checking mbox content when mtime > internal atime).

Christophe

--
Christophe Barbé <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Cats seem go on the principle that it never does any harm to ask for
what you want. --Joseph Wood Krutch