I have built the past 10 releases of Mutt with the exact compiler and
configure options I'm using today.  Why does it fail now?  I'm still using
gcc, an ANSI-compliant compiler.

   $ head -1 VERSION
   1.3.28
   $ cat CONFIGURE
   ./configure \
           --prefix=/opt/pkgs/mutt-1.3.28 \
           --with-slang=/opt/pkgs/slang-1.4.4
   $ sh CONFIGURE
   creating cache ./config.cache
   checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
   checking for working aclocal... found
   checking for working autoconf... found
   checking for working automake... found
   checking for working autoheader... found
   checking for working makeinfo... missing
   checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.7
   checking for prefix... /opt/pkgs/mutt-1.3.28
   checking for gcc... g++
   checking whether the C compiler (g++  ) works... yes
   checking whether the C compiler (g++  ) is a cross-compiler... no
   checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
   checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
   checking for g++ option to accept ANSI C... no
   checking how to run the C preprocessor... g++ -E
   checking for function prototypes... no
   checking for ANSI C header files... yes
   checking for string.h... yes
   configure: error: Compiler not ANSI compliant
   $ gcc --version
   2.95.3
   $ g++ --version
   2.95.3