Hi,

At  2:20 PM EDT on April 23 David T-G sent off:
> ...and then Rob Reid said...
> > At  1:24 PM EDT on April 23 David T-G sent off:
> > > Rather than just escaping your single quotes because you're using single
> > > quotes already, you have to escape them "deeply" enough.  Starting from
> > >   push "D~b '^SPAM...'"
> > >
> > > to make it work (though that part is untested).
> >
> > :-P Always test!  I had already tried that, and it doesn't work even though
> > it
>
> Ah; you didn't say that part.

Ain't I a stinker?

>                                So how on earth do you get
>
>   D"~b 'pat'"
>
> to work when that breaks for me?  I think your double quotes are getting
> eaten and you're not realizing it.

I think (and you more or less said) that you've been testing D directly from
mutt instead of with a folder-hook in a file.  It's different, I tell ya!  ;-)

> Well, that's easy, since I can always pop open another window and run
> mutt as many times as necessary.  The real pain is developing a mailbox
> where your pattern will work so that I can do the testing

Would you like me to send you some spam?  ;-)  Fortunately it's not necessary.

> > It was an escaping problem, although I thought I'd tried that with \\!  But
> > noooo!  The second \ needs to be escaped so it has to be \\\\!  The working
> > hook:
> >
> > folder-hook spam push 'D"~b \"^^SPAM: Hit\\\\! \\\\(1 point\\\\)     BODY: Image
>tag with an ID code to identify you\"\n"'
>
> Now that is *strange*.  I expected (2^^n)-1 backslashes like
>
>   !
>   \!
>   \\\!
>   \\\\\\\!
>
> and certainly not an even number.  When you have \\! you're escaping your
> escape but not protecting the bang.

Exactly; protecting the escape so it can protect the !

> Oh, wait; since you're quoting your pattern (which must be working,
> because you don't have to escape the spaces or fill them with dots [which
> I find much easier to manage])

D'oh!!

> > Note the different escaping method for ^.
>
> Yeah; why?

Because the mutt manual says to  ;-)  ^x is interpreted as control-x, so mutt
recognizes ^^ as ^.  After that, it doesn't need any protection.  Yes, it's
weird, but otherwise benign.

--
"He eats like a bird... five times his own weight each day." - fortune
Robert I. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/