On Fri, May 17, 2002 at 02:59:36PM -0700, Jim Osborn wrote:
> Hi Wojciech,
>
> Just so I understand a bit more, what action did your \ch key perform
> before you re-bound it to backward-char as described above in your note?
> In all the instances I've been able to get \ch to perform backward-char,
> it turned out that it was already doing backward-char by default, so
> I wasn't really re-binding that key.
>
> If yours was really doing something else, that'd be very useful to know.
> If not, maybe that key is really unbindable, and maybe someday the manual
> could be updated to reflect that fact.

Hi Jim,

Before re-binding its action was 'backspace'. Ctrl-H is fully
re-bindable on linux console. Mutt was compiled with curses support
(ncurses-5.2), and $TERM is 'linux'.

There are problems with xterm. Firstly, I must say that after I've
posted my previous message, I noticed that by rebinding ^H, backspace
key action is changing as well.

Under xterm $TERM was also 'linux' (I don't even remember why and when
I've changed 'xterm' to 'linux' for xterms :-). After setting it to
'proper' value (xterm-*) I've lost control over ^H (that was pretty
obvious).

So I've picked up 'xterm' form terminfo database and after decompiling
it, I removed kbs=^H part, changed 'xterm' to 'xterm-hacked' ;-) and
compiled it again.

I've put my new 'xterm-hacked' in $TERM under RXVT (because it can
distinguish between backspace and ^H)... and now I have mutt with
re-bindable ^H :-)

> TIA,

HTH

> Jim

Wojciech Krygier

--
Home is where the computer is plugged in.