On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 03:20:03PM -0400, Thomas Dickey wrote:
> On Mon, May 20, 2002 at 05:04:53AM -0400, Andy Saxena wrote:
> > On Sun, May 12, 2002 at 12:23:06AM -0600, Rob 'Feztaa' Park wrote:
> > > Alas! Will Yardley spake thus:
> > >
> > > For the record, I use xterm's exclusively on my system, and I've got
> > > $TERM set to xterm-color, and everything colors just great. Mutt, Vim,
> > > everything ;)
> > >

> > Just a quick question for you - is the background on your xterm dark or
> > light? I am asking because vim sets background correctly for me in the
> > console, but fails to detect the black background in an xterm/konsole
> > window. The same goes for mutt, it colorizes as though the background
> > was light colored.
>
> generally it _cannot_ detect whether the background is light or dark.

Hmmm... so what would the solution be in this case? Should I always use
a dark background? I guess if I had to choose between a dark and a light
background, I'd be more inclined to use a dark background. How would I
tell mutt that the background will always be dark?

Is there any way to switch between the colors for dark and light
backgrounds while in the application?

Thanks,
Andy