Mike --

...and then Mike Arrison said...
%
% Hi Mutters,
%         I'm curious if anyone has a good solution for using Mutt's
% aliasing feature as a good address book (email addr only).  The problem

So you're specifically not interested in abook or another add-on?  No
problem, but there are some that are highly recommended (see the
archives).

% I'm running into is that I couldn't possibly come up with a one word
% nickname for all 100 or so people I know.  So instead of saying:

Ahhh...  Yes, that's a problem, especially when Adam has both a home and
a work address.

%
%   alias Adam "Smith, Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
%
% I would like to to have to specify a nickname, such as:
%
%   alias "Smith, Adam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
%
% I'm willing to type in their full names, but I don't want to have to
% remember full email addresses.  Is that legal?

No, you have to have some alias name.  In addition to the complete-query
suggestion already posted (which will work well with lbdb even if you
don't need a separate address book, since it can be rigged to capture
every email address that ever comes in), you might find it helpful to
name your aliases like fullnames, as

  alias adam.smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Adam Smith)
  alias adam.smith-work <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (Adam at work)

and so on.  This, including the -* designation for various work, home,
hotmail vs msn vs other mails and then an actual fname.lname alias which
simply points the the alias of the account that the person wants to use
this week, works quite well for me and my 1228 single aliases (as well as
32 group aliases, some nested).

%
%       -Mike Arrison

HTH & HAND