Andre --

...and then Andre Berger said...
%
% Hi!

Hello!

%
% set editor="evim"         # simple mode of vim 6.1 on linux
% set abort_unmodified="no" # because mutt doesn't acknowledge the
%                           # changes and I don't want confusing
%                           # messages
%
% With this setup, I'm asked if I want to "update encoding" of each

Hmmm...  Before you go blaming your setup, you might check the most
common source of this problem: clock drift between your workstation and
your NFS server.  The reason you're asked about the encoding is because
the file's timestamp is newer than mutt expects and so it figures that
something has touched it and so it wants to know if it should peek at
the file to see if it's should still be QP or base64 or whatever.

% message I'm about to send. Is there a way around this question, can I
% make mutt (1.3.28) default to "yes, update the encoding"?

I don't think so, but you might check the archives for how other people
have taken care of this if not through clock syncing.

%
% -Andre

HTH & HAND

:-D