Newbie question (ignore if you like rather than flame) .....

I made the switch from Redmond to Linux almost a year ago, and used
KMail.  Now I'm switching to Mutt as I get more comfortable with the
command line.

Presently I'm running Mutt 1.2.5 on RH 7.3.  I've DL'd Mutt 1.4
but ran into an install problem.

First I did "which mutt" and found it was in /usr/bin.  So I
figured when running the Mutt 1.4 configure script, that I needed
--prefix=/usr/bin.  So I ran the script and then as root did 'make
install'.  This, however reported an error in that it wanted to
create a directory called man.

./mkinstalldirs /usr/bin/man/man1
mkdir -p -- /usr/bin/man/man1
mkdir: `/usr/bin/man' exists but is not a directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/kosuke/downloads/rpm/mutt-1.4/doc'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

Obviously it ran into a problem since the man in /usr/bin is for the
man pages.

So here's my question (at long last!): Should I uninstall the Mutt
1.2.5 RPM, and then just do a default install of Mutt 1.4?  I've
already been using Mutt and have mail folders, etc that I don't
want to lose.

I know, I know, this is a newbie question and I should probably just
do it and learn, but I've got a lot of mail and no time right now
to spend trying to recover, hence this question and request for hand
holding.

Thanks
Kevin

--