Hi.

On Fri 2002-07-05 at 01:36:52 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> * Benjamin Pflugmann [02-07-05 00:44:50 +0200] wrote:
[...]
> I misunderstood him (completely) but one may specify a limit
> pattern to show only the mails of one correspondence.

How?

> > I do not think so. The work to do would not be
> > significantly more than with one folder and threading
> > enabled. Sure, it takes some time, but that it already
> > does with one folder, which you suggested as work-around.
>
> Well, the code added would have to read mails from a few
> additional folders instead of just one.

But my point was that your suggestion would have all the
mails in one folder instead. I cannot see loading 3 x 1000
messages being significantly slower/faster than 1 x 3000.

Or are we talking at cross-issues?

> I have a problem with the checks involved allthough it may
> be quite less. I also run mutt on a really old machine
> where every portion of new code makes working
> unnecessarily hard.

Well, the behaviour would be optional. One if-case doesn't
cost much in this case.

> You can also make mutt save the mail to the folder it was
> sent from.

I already have in- and outgoing mails in the same
folder. Don't know if that matters to the original poster.

> You can limit to every mail not from you. If you
> don't need the thread anymore, move it to the archive.

Well, that is exactly the point. If I moved it to the
archive and get a new message and have to look it up...

[...]
> > Currently I have a macro defined which files the message
> > in the archive folder as mark that it has been "done".
>
> I do it completely different without creating the need of
> such a flag on my own. I also keep a state 'done' which I
> nicely work around without another flag. My filter creates
> an archive I usually read only. A mail is considered to be
> 'done' if I delete it from the folder. I see my folders as a
> kind of temporary place. Older folders are compressed and
> can be read using the rr.compressed patch. Outgoing mail is
> saved to the same archive folder, so I have all I need in
> one place.

If I did not misunderstand you, that is exactly what I have,
except that I move the mails only after they are done. But
this does not matter in this case. To repeat:

New mails are filed in a seperate folder, there is also an
archive folder. Outgoing mails go directly to the
archive. Mails are deleted from the incoming folder, when
"done" (and for me, also moved to the archive). And
additionally, the archive is also compressed. ;-)

The problem arises (or more precisly: the requested feature
could be of use), when a new mail arrives, which belongs to
an "done" thread and I have to look it up in the archive.

As I said, that mainly happens only with support mails to
me, so maybe you simply do not encounter this, because you
do no support? This includes two things: Getting mails after
a long period of time (more than a month), which continues
an old thread, and people unable to quote significant
context in such mails.

On the other hand, I delete/file done mails at once, because
I need to be able to see quickly, if there are undone mails
pending. And unread would not work, because priorities often
demand that I read all e-mails, but do not process the
unimportant ones for some days.

[...]
> I don't want to say that such a feature would be useless at
> all, I just say it's useless to me since I've organized my
> communication to not require such features.

Or because you do not get the kind of mails I get? ;-)

[...]
> If you find this feature that usefull, well, than start
> coding it... ;-)

As I said initially in my first mail, I am not sure whether
I agree with the original poster about the solution.

I just wanted to show that the requested feature would
indeed solve a problem which has no direct solution yet.

Greetings,

        Benjamin.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]