On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:03:04AM +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> Hi,
>
> * Martin Siegert [02-07-10 08:34:56 +0200] wrote:
> > I am planning to replace elm and pine with mutt as the
> > university wide default email reader.
>
> Just do:
>
>   $ rm `which elm`
>   $ ln -s `which pine` /bin/false
>
> ;-)
>
> I wouldn't replace it. I would let the users choose their
> MUA.

This is undesirable: pine is a nightmare to maintain (hard-coded paths, etc.)
and, more importantly, a reoccuring security problem. We have to get
rid of elm, because we want to get rid of NFS exported mail spools.
Thus, we want to switch to pop/imap exclusively.
Without those reasons I wouln't even consider switching to mutt with
all its undesirable consequences (i.e., faculty members complaining
about not being able to use their favorite email reader).

> > This will only be possible, if it is "convenient" to
> > switch to mutt.
>
> It is. There's a system-wide config file. Without a
> ~/.muttrc it works just fine. All settings you find usefull
> just go in there (/etc/Muttrc, or whatever, depending on the
> OS).

Yes, I know. The problem starts when a user decides that (s)he does
not like the settings I choose in Muttrc.

> > Thus, the biggest show-stopper I can find right now that
> > mutt does not seem to have an "option" menu that allows
> > users to modify the default settings to their liking.
>
> The problem with an option menu is that mutt has kind of
> static and dynamic configuration. Static can be easily done
> by just presenting editing fields for variables. But what to
> do with the dynamic part (all the hooks, for example)?

Not that important. The options menu should only contain the most
basic settings. The expert can edit ~/.muttrc.

> > Thus, the question is: has anybody expanded mutt to
> > include something like an option menu that can be called
> > from within mutt?
>
> Not that I know.

I am right now considering using something like the muttrc builder
(http://mutt.netliberte.org/) running under lynx. I could bind the
whole thing to some key in mutt. I was hoping that somebody had done
something like that already.
(I guess this is kind of contradictory: using a web browser to configure
a command line email reader that users use because they do not want to
use a web browser for email).

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers,
Martin