On Sat 08/03/02 at 09:30 PM +0200,
Brad Knowles <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 11:50 AM +0200 2002/08/03, Sven Guckes wrote:
>> you can only set or unset the envelope_from variable -
>> but not set what goes into the header.  this is MTA stuff.
>
> The MTA doesn't touch the headers (with the exception of adding
> suitable "Received:" headers).  So far as the MTA is concerned,
> headers are part of the message body.

But if you use the MTA (sendmail in this case, and in many cases)
to create an envelope header that's gonna be different from a
message's "From:" header, (by doing 'sendmail -f'), then it (the
MTA) has to at least touch the envelope header.

Which still makes setting what goes into that header essentially
"MTA stuff," I'd think, even though in most other respects (the
"received" headers excepted) it's correct to say that headers
are indeed part of the message body so far as the MTA is concerned.