Alain Bench <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Saturday, August 3, 2002 at 4:43:48 PM +0300, Jussi Ekholm wrote:

I wonder why Mutt changes charset from ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8. Is this a
known behaviour - anyone?

>> I send an email, which is traditionally signed, from Mutt 1.5.1i to a
>> person who uses Mutt 1.4i. In this one particular case, scandinavian
>> characters (äöå) were all messed up in his Mutt (1.4i) when he
>> received my email.
>
> Here in your mail, your chars are good, and show up perfectly in my
> Mutt 1.4 on a latin-1 terminal. What's strange is that they were in
> UTF-8 instead of simple latin-1 charset, what would have been
> sufficient. Perhaps you have a bad $send_charset, or perhaps that's

I noticed that as well. All I can think of at the moment, is, that
when you look at the default values of $send_charset, you can see that
there's 'utf-8' along with us-ascii and iso-8859-1. That's pretty much
everything I can think now - as I am using the default values of
$send_charset.

Would it be possibly catastrophous, if I'd modify $send_charset so,
that it would only send mails with character sets of 'ISO-8859-1'? Any
insight?

>> the scands were messed up badly; at least ``ä'' showed up as ``Aþ''
>> and such forth.
>
> You mean 2 chars as "ä"? This is the sort of things you see when
> you look raw an UTF-8 char on a latin-1 terminal without decoding.

Yes, I mean those two chars that look like Aþ. I had to go through
that email and the text my friend had quoted (naturally, written by
me) and replace these two letters with 'ä'. I hate doing this kind of
error correction! :-) Although, Vim makes it a bit easier with its
'c2l' commands and such forth.

By the way - a bit off-topic question; how am I able to (in Vim 6.1)
to find out how this character combination 'Aþ' translates from UTF-8
to ISO-8859-1, because I tried to do something like this:

        :s/Aþ/ä/g

But Vim just told me, that no Aþ was found. Still, in future I'd like
to be able to replace as many occurences as there are of "Aþ" with
that simple search-and-replace line.

> Surely a config problem at your friend, I'd say probably a $charset
> or iconv problem, but that needs further investigations.

This friend I had this email discussion, mentioned that his Mutt was
compiled on, I quote: 'SUN platform'.  So, it sure needs further
investigations but thanks for your ideas, I'll pass them to this
friend and hopefully he gets his Mutt 1.4i to understand my inline
(text/plain) PGP messages.

Then again, I'm thinking that should I modify the $send_charset from
the default values to only 'ISO-8859-1', as I mentioned above?
Something inside me tells, that if I modify that variable that way,
things will not work as they used to. :-)

>> My traditionally signed mails show up correctly, right?
>
> Well, yes and no.

Make up your mind! ;-)

> Yes, the uml^Wscands show up well, and thanks to the CT parameter
> "x-action=pgp-signed" Mutt knows automatically it must be PGP
> verified.

What is CT parameter?