At  3:39 AM EDT on August 13 Stephane Bortzmeyer sent off:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 12:12:56PM +0200,
>  Roman Neuhauser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
>  a message of 18 lines which said:
>
> > > But some people who write me do use -- at random places :-( and I want
> > > to quote it nevertheless. I cannot find an option
> > > 'include_sig_in_replies'. Any idea?
> >
> >     while i might be very much wrong, i don't think this is mutt. looks
> >     like your editor strips the sig.
>
> You're right, I use Emacs' post.el
> <URL:http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/mutt/> and I was able to include
> the sig with:
>
> ; The original regexp also had a --
> (custom-set-variables
>  '(post-signature-pattern "\\(Cheers,\\|\\)"))
>
> Many thanks, everything works now.

But you're breaking it for the 90% or whatever of messages that have proper
formatting.

Try changing post-signature-pattern to "\\(-- \\|Cheers,\\|\\)"
Normally the space is left out because of broken MTAs and people who've seen
the ^-- but didn't know about the space.  The best way to fix that is with this
procmail recipe:

# Correct wrong sig-dashes
:0 fBw
* ^--$

but post.el does not assume you use procmail by default.

What I really meant in my previous post (but didn't specify because I didn't
know what editor you were using) was to Customize post-backup-original to t,
and then select and paste from *Original* when necessary.

You can also try explaining to your correspondents why they shouldn't use
"^-- \n" except at the start of a signature.

--
"I love California. I practically grew up in Phoenix." - Dan Quayle
Robert I. Reid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>     http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/