Sven Guckes wrote:
> * Andre Berger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-08-15 14:44]:
> > The following bad From formats are displayed with
> > "F" flag in my index as if they were from me (andre):
> >
> > From: "Luca Riazzi" <LRIAZZI<removeme-cancellami>@writeme.com>
> > From: "Neil Tisdale" <neil.<discard>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > From: "lst_cwby" <mailto:l_@m_@st_@n_@__c_@wb_@y@@bt_@nt_@[EMAIL PROTECTED]@m>
> >
> > Can I work around this somehow?
>
> mutt uses $alternates to figure this out.
> what is the value you set?
> check with "set ?alternates"
> or with ":set alt<tab>=<tab>".

That has nothing to do with what he was asking about.  Those are
obviously malformed addresses that Mutt shows as being sent by the user.
This is really a bug in the way Mutt handles malformed addresses.  If
there is a parse error, Mutt will return NULL for the list of addresses.
Normally this would not be a problem, but because some old mail clients
that people used to use did not write a From: line in the mbox for saved
outgoing messages, Mutt will assume that the message from you if there
is no From: line.  Since Mutt represents no addresses and bad addresses
the same way internally, it can't tell the difference.