So, a couple days ago, best I can figure, after a reboot, mutt now can't open
temp files, or at least that's what I'm guessing, because it hangs after
entering subject and hitting enter.

GDB is saying it's on an open() call. It hangs indefinitely.

This reboot didn't change much, I did it because apache-ssl wasn't working
after a Debian upgrade, and I just upgraded again and rebooted. No kernel
change, nothing weird installing.

/tmp has permissions drwxrwxrwt, changing tmpdir to $HOME doesn't help,
subdirectories of it don't help, nothing..

I didn't change any rc files.

mutt's version is 1.4.0-2, and like I say, nothing weird changed. All the rc
files hadn't changed for about 4 days before it got weird. And even that was
just an unmy_hdr.

I'm completely stumped, and sending this through /usr/bin/mail.