* Erik Christiansen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-09-12 10:22]:
> In order to provide a history of correspondence, filed by project,
> on originating laptops and on a server, the two-part goal is to:
>
>  a) Archive outgoing mail to one of many local mail folders,
>  as selected by an email header. The archive folder name can
>  be left at default or edited while composing the mail.

that's still the description of a *solution* - and not that of the problem.

>  b) Archive the same outgoing mail on a server, directed by *the
>  same header*, either directly or by scripting if necessary.

you did not mention any header yet, so
"the same header" does not reference it.

>  o Relying on the Fcc header fails, because that is stripped when the
>    email is sent, leaving nothing to steer the remote archiving.

Fcc is no header line, anyway.

>    If there is a way to configure its retention,
>    this would be a clean solution.

attach your own X-Fcc header then.

>  o Currently, an "X-Topic: folder_name" header is used to steer
>    remote archiving, with an Fcc header steering local archiving.

ok - so you already do that then..

>    Employing wetware to synchronise the two at all times, and in all
>    eventualities, is found to stretch its reliability beyond limits.

"wetware"?  (is there some sexual connotation that i'm not getting?)

>    Sven's "fcc-hook" proposal had been longingly looked at, ..

you mean, multiple copies of one sent mail
by use of multiple foldernames in Fcc?

>  ..but the manpage says *filename*, not command.

well, - feature.  "one copy suffices".

>    send-hook takes a command, but generating one header from the other
>    is more than I can synthesise from the mutt command set, as yet.
>    (Now if command could be an external post-filter, we'd be cooking!)

how many filters does one need?

>    One way out may be to add the sender to the Bcc, and then perform the
>    Fcc operation by means of procmail processing of the received email.
>    (And accept the unclean dependency.)

yep..

> a) my_hdr Fcc: default_project_name
> sven> use "+name"
>
>    Thanks for this suggestion. I've grepped the mutt and muttrc
>    manpages, and /usr/share/doc/mutt/manual.txt, for +name and all
>    occurrences of "name", without locating any such reference.
>    I'll look further, for the significance of this cryptogram.

i meant
"use a '+' sign in front of the folder name,
so $folder/name is used rather than './name'."
clear now?

anyway, i think you should take a look at Gnus -
there you can really program it all.

the "archiving problem" leads to databases,
backup stategies and synchronization problems.
and the MUA is *not* the right tool for it.
sorry if this burts your bubble..

Sven