* Thomas E. Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2002-09-18 09:04]:
> On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, darren chamberlain wrote:
>
> > vim has a :version command, which other vi clones don't seem to; vim
>
> :ve is standard.
> (:version is also recognized by all of the vi's that I recall -
> including elvis).

OK, I stand corrected.  However, :ve will still tell him whether he's
using vim or not, eh?

> > with cp set will still respond to :version, while elvis will not
> > (well, it will, but with an error ;).
>
> one of the annoying things about vim-users is that most of them don't
> know much about vi, and tend to ascribe lots of things to vim that are
> standard in vi.

Hey, Sven, calm down, will ya?  ;)

Actually, though, my experience has been the opposite:  people who are
vim users tend to think that vim features are standard vi features, and
get upset when, say, ga doesn't do what they expect.  A lot of the vi
evangelists I know are actually vim evalgelists, and it annoys me, much
as it (apparently) annoys you.

> (don't be like most vim-users)

Actually, I'm not.  In fact, on many of the boxen I use regularly, I'm
not a vim user at all.  I was unaware that other vi's supported :ve; I
thought I remembered elvis, at least, not supporting it.

(darren)

--
Doubt isn't the opposite of faith; it is an element of faith.
    -- Paul Tillich