* Timo T. Rajala <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> One difference is that the "smime-type=enveloped-data;" row is missing
> from the MS mail. I inserted this row in the MS mail and opened the
> mail in mutt: now both signature check and decrypt works.
>
> My question is: Is the MS MUA not following the S/MIME standard by
> omitting this row or is mutt wrong by not being able to handle it
> without this row?

I'm quoting from RFC2633:

3.2:
Because there are several types of application/pkcs7-mime objects, a
   sending agent SHOULD do as much as possible to help a receiving
agent
   know about the contents of the object without forcing the receiving
   agent to decode the ASN.1 for the object. The MIME headers of all
   application/pkcs7-mime objects SHOULD include the optional "smime-
   type" parameter, as described in the following sections.

3.2.1:
For the application/pkcs7-mime, sending agents SHOULD emit the
optional "name" parameter to the Content-Type field for compatibility
   with older systems. Sending agents SHOULD also emit the optional
   Content-Disposition field [CONTDISP] with the "filename" parameter.
   If a sending agent emits the above parameters, the value of the
   parameters SHOULD be a file name with the appropriate extension:

   MIME Type                                File Extension

   Application/pkcs7-mime (signedData,      .p7m
   envelopedData)

   Application/pkcs7-mime (degenerate       .p7c
   signedData "certs-only" message)

   Application/pkcs7-signature              .p7s

So this MS MUA SHOULD include "smime-type", but is not and mutt should
be able to determine the MIME type from the file extension but is not.

--
Timo T. Rajala