On Tue, Sep 24, 2002 at 01:40:27PM +0200, Christian Ordig wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 08:04:11PM -0400, PeterKorman wrote:
> > Here are the gory details. Much of my communication is not through
> > mailing lists. As a rule I don't go to a folder to exchange mail with
> > a particular person.
> that's what I meant ... nearly nobody has one folder per person.
>
> > I want to keep a record of everything I send.
> sure ... that's what I meant with:
>     # default record location
>     folder-hook . set record="=sent"
>
> > So send gets its own folder. This is nonnegotiable. I want keep a
> > record of everything I receive. I dont want to hand sort that stuff.
> that's what procmail/maildrop is for.
>
> > (maildrop switches destination folders for me just fine, but that is
> > not the kind of data I'm processing.) So all my non-newsgroup
> > inbound goes to 1 folder. That is also non negotiable.
> well ... _everything_ not going to a mailing list goes to let's
> say =inbox ?
> This would simplyfy stuff a lot ... you'd need only _one_ further
> folder-hook:
>     folder-hook =inbox set record="=inbox"
>
> so everything sent from within =inbox would be recorded to =inbox.
> And when replying to someone who sent a mail directly to you, it's
> unlikely you're in a mailinglist folder ... isn't it?

Cool! That means I can use:

       folder-hook =inbox set record="=sent"

to record everything I sent. Then I can generate a unique link name
via safecat and hardlink all unlinked messages in 'sent' to a link
name in "inbox".

I could skip all the perl messageID scanning and maintain threads and
a separate 'sent' record list on the fly. I like it. Thanks for
the feedback.

Regards,

JPK

--

[]+ Wisdom is vindicated by all her children.                  +[]